Scarecrows will take over The Oregon Garden this fall with Scarecrows in the Garden, an annual month-long whimsical display of locally designed scarecrows. Throughout the month of October, the scarecrows — created by schools, artists, families and businesses — are strategically placed throughout the Garden for family enjoyment. The event is presented by Wave Broadband.
Visitors are encouraged to vote on their favorite for a chance to win an overnight stay at the Oregon Garden Resort. At the end of October, prizes will be awarded for people’s choice, best youth design, best adult design and best business design, as voted on by garden guests. To vote, pick up a ballot in the Visitor’s Center.
Scarecrow viewing is free with paid Garden admission. Regular garden admission is $11 for adults, $9 for seniors ages 60+, $8 for students ages 12 to 17, $5 for children ages five to 11, and free for children four and under. Members receive free admission.
Scarecrow submissions are being accepted through September 21. Past popular scarecrows have included a cowboy, a police officer, a Michael Jackson wanna-be, a mermaid, and a mother giving her “punkin” a wheelbarrow ride. For guidelines, instructions and a submission form, visit www.oregongarden.org
The Garden is also partnering with the Silverton Art Association and local artists to host a scarecrow-building workshop on September 21. There will be a small fee to cover the cost of materials, and participants must pre-register; contact Mary Ridderbusch at email@example.com.
The Oregon Garden offers more than 80 acres that showcase the natural wonders of the Pacific Northwest with more than 20 individual themed gardens and related attractions. The mission of The Oregon Garden is to welcome and inspire all visitors with an appreciation for the extraordinary ecology of the Pacific Northwest, and to provide a meaningful educational experience for gardeners of all skill levels and ages. The Oregon Garden offers memberships that help support new improvements and visitor programs. Visit www.OregonGarden.org or call (503) 874-8100 for more information.
(1) Mid Valley Mentors, Big Me Little Me
(2) Shilo Inn, Support Our Troops
(3) Exceed Expectation, Peter Pan
(4) Leap At Shangrila, Michael Jackson
(5) Oregon Garden Foundation, Scary Barry
(6) Silverton FFA, Under The Sea
(7) Jennifer Miller, Miller Scarecrow
(8) AC Gilberts Discovery Village, Pumpkids At Play
(9) Center Against Rape And Domestic Violence, Debbie The Domestic Violence Awareness Scarecrow
(10) Oregon Parks and Rec, Howdy Duty
(11) Geercrest Farm And Historical Society, Don’t “Geer” The Reaper
(12) Silverton Health, Silverton Hospital, Best Place To Have Your Little Pumpkin
(13) Blanchet Catholic School Earth Science Classes (8th Grade), Globe Guardian
(14) Salem Police Department, Officer Crow