EUGENE, Ore. – A Market of Choice wine and food tasting, Festa Piemontese, will feature six winegrowers and a chef from Piemonte, Italy, who have come to share their culinary culture at the 29th and Willamette store.
“They are wonderful people, so passionate about what they do,” said Steve Johnson, wine and beverage manager for Market of Choice. “This is a rare treat, to have them come and share their wine and their knowledge.”
Market of Choice is inviting the public to come meet them, try their wines, and sample an array of Italian entrées, desserts and cheeses.
When: Friday, March 15, 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Where: Market of Choice, 29th & Willamette, Eugene
Piemonte sits at the top of the Italian “boot,” in the shadow of the Alps. In the lower elevations, vineyards cover the rolling foothills as they have for centuries. There are dozens of wine-growing areas within Piemonte. Two of the most well known are Roero and Langhe, adjacent, but separated by the river Tanaro.
These areas are famous for producing a variety of wine grapes, including nebbiolo, which has rarely been grown successfully anywhere else in the world. Nebbiolo is the grape used to make the red wines Barolo and Barbaresco.
The visiting winegrowers represent four small, family-owned vineyards. They will be pouring a range of wines, red and white.
- Carlo Deltetto Jr. from Deltetto, in Roero. Run by the same family since 1977, they pursue innovative winemaking techniques, producing primarily from nebbiolo, barbera and arneis grapes.
- Sandro Barosi from Cascina Corte, in Langhe, focuses on organic production of dolcetto, barbera and nebbiolo. Some of the vines are more than 60 years old.
- Loredana Addari and Nicola Argamante from Ruggeri Corsini, in Langhe. The couple quit their city jobs in 1995 and have since become accomplished winemakers.
- Paola Grasso and Valentina Grasso from Ca del Baio, in Langhe. A small, family-owned winery that has been in business for a century, focusing on nebbiolo, moscato and dolcetto.
Additionally, Piemontese chef Anna Marlin will create authentic recipes from her homeland. And Market of Choice bakers, cheese stewards and chefs will join the fun, presenting a variety of Italian-inspired food.
The guests also are planning to visit Market of Choice stores in Corvallis and West Linn during their trip to Oregon.
- Saturday, March 16, 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Ninth & Circle Blvd., Corvallis
- Sunday, March 17, 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., 5639 Hood St., West Linn