Test your smile IQ
1. A baby’s first dental visit should be at age 3.
2. One twelve ounce can of soda contains at least 10-12 teaspoons of sugar.
3. Sugar Free or Diet Sodas cannot harm your teeth.
4. Clean teeth can help prevent a heart attack.
5. Tooth disease is the second most common disease in America.
6. An attractive smile can lead to increased career success.
7. The health of the mouth is related to the health of the body.
8. You only need to go to the dentist when something hurts.
9. Going to the dentist can be a positive experience.
10. Fillings and crowns have to be silver or gold in color.
11. If a person wears dentures they never have to see the dentist again.
12. Digital x-rays have 80% less radiation exposure than traditional film x-rays.
1. False. Your child’s first visit to the dentist should happen before his or her first birthday. The general rule is six months after eruption of the first tooth.
2. True. Sports drinks and energy drinks contain even more sugar than many cola drinks and cause greater enamel damage.
3. False. Diet sodas are very acidic and cause enamel damage.
4. True. Researchers have found the most common strains of bacteria in dental plaque can cause blood clots when they escape into the blood stream.
5. True. It is second only to the common cold.
6. True. 75% of Americans believe and unattractive smile can hurt an individual’s career success.
7. False. 90% of all systemic diseases can be seen in the mouth.
8. False. Keeping up with your regular dental check-ups and cleanings mean problems will be caught earlier when they are easier and less expensive to fix.
9. True. With advances in digital x-rays and photos a person can easily understand what they need and chose the treatment that best fits their needs.
10. False. There are many options to choose from that match the color of your teeth.
11. False. People who wear dentures still need to have their gums checked every year to look for potential sore areas and cancer.
12. True. One mammogram (2 views on each breast) is the equivalent radiation exposure to 9 years of digital x-rays in the dental office. It has the other benefit of being easily shared with other doctors if needed.
No matter what your score, we hope this quiz brought a smile to your day! Riverbend Dental would love the opportunity to keep that smile in tip-top shape. For more resources and videos about dental things in general please visit our website.